Handout For Submissions – for a copy of the meeting handout How to make a submission and points to make
2pm Saturday 25 August 2018
St James Uniting Church hall, Gillies Street, Curtin
The developer of the fenced-off site on Curtin Square has lodged an application to reconsider a revised development application (DA).
The proposed building is a variation on the plans rejected 18 months ago.
Come along to hear about the revised DA, show your concern, make your views known, and hear how to make a submission to ACT Planning
- ACT Planning is reconsidering a major revision of the DA for 45 Curtin Place that was rejected 18 months ago, under rules intended for minor revisions.
- The Curtin Master Plan has been in draft (2016), revised (May 2018) and should be finalised by the end of 2018.
- We object to the process of reconsidering an application that has changed a lot, when we do not know whether it will be evaluated against the old precinct rules, the draft Master Plan, the revised Master Plan—or the yet‑to‑be‑seen final Master Plan.
- The proposed building is still too big. It will loom over neighbouring low buildings. Its 5-storey part encroaches onto the area that the revised Master Plan restricts to one storey to preserve sunshine in the Square and keep the ‘urban village’ character of the shopping centre.
- The traffic and service trucks for the proposed building conflict with pedestrians and parking.
- The ACT Government has put in a lot of effort to consult the community so far—it now has to enforce its planning rules to keep the community’s trust.
- We are not against development, but this one is still not right for the Square.